Tuesday, December 19, 2006

temptation - Oscar Wilde

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

found on the wrapper of a Baci Perugina chocolate (I think ...)

I figured that if I was going to list good quotes, I should also list bad quotes. So here is an example of one. Now, I don't expect Wilde to reflect a Biblical world view, but just from an ethical point of view, this quote has quite the range of implications.

As a Christian, this quote makes me think of many Scripture. Here are two:

1 Cor 10:13 - No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.
What a contrast: yielding vs. bearing!

Heb 4:15-16 - For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.
What a Savior! What a comfort to know that we are not alone.

2 comments:

Renata said...

so then... does that mean good Christians should not eat Baci Perugina chocolate??? ;-) just to let you know I'm following your blog.
Renata

Maël said...

Thanks for commenting, Renata. Actually, the moral is that you should not believe everything that a succulent piece of chocolate tells you ... especially the whole: "Oh, come on, you can have just one more," line.

Join my blog network
on Facebook