Thursday, February 9, 2012

Copycat Duke's Mayo recipe

As some of you know, Cindy has some food allergies. This has caused us to have to make a lot of things from scratch; mayo is one of them. While on the east coast, we both loved the taste and kick of Duke's mayo, and therefore when I set about to make home made mayo, I decided to try to imitate that taste. Here is the recipe I have come up with so far. It is not perfect, but it gets close. Let me know if you can improve on it.


200g oil (I use 100g of light sunflower oil + 100g of light olive oil)
1 Tbsp white vinegar
1 Tbsp cider vinegar
1 Tbsp lemon juice
½ tsp (2 x ¼ tsp) salt
¼ tsp dried mustard
¼ tsp paprika
2 egg yolks

To make it, I use the technique found here (for making mayo, a stick blender is a lifesaver, but you can do it the old fashion way if you want). Put all the ingredients in the jar. Set the stick blender to speed 1. Place the end of the blender at the bottom of the jar, over the two yolks. Pulse beat the mixture 4 times. Continuously beat the mixture until all the oil is incorporated; you will have to pull the blender up from the bottom some. Set the stick blender to speed 9. Continuously beat the mixture until it is as thick as desired. Enjoy!

No comments:

Join my blog network
on Facebook