Monday, March 26, 2012

Generations ...

I have just finished Mary Kassian's The Feminist Mistake. This is a great book to read to have an overview of feminism and the damage that it has caused in the last 50+ years. While there are many quotes and thoughts going through my mind, given my last post I would like to share this one first:

Principles which one generation accepts provisionally, in the context of other cultural commitments, soon harden into icy dogmas for a generation brought up on nothing else. [1]
This is valid for liberation theology, feminism, liberal theology, and any other system we set up. May we be careful in all we do, say, and write.

[1] To be honest, I did something a good researcher should not do, but I don't have the time to deal with it now ... Kassian is not the author of this quote, she quotes it from Michael Novak, Will It Liberate? Questions About Liberation Theology (Mahwah, NJ: Paulist Press, 1986), 27. I did not check Novak's work for accuracy or context, but even if this is not what Novak intended, it is the warning I am trying to communicate.

No comments:

Join my blog network
on Facebook