Friday, December 15, 2006

pecuniary reward - Dargan

... the caution in 1 Peter 5:2 where the Apostle urges the elders that they should not take the oversight 'for filthy lucre but of a ready mind,' indicates that there was sufficient pecuniary reward in the office to attract the cupidity of the selfish and the sordid. - Edwin C. Dargan


found in Edwin C. Dargan, Ecclesiology: a Study of the Churches (Louisville: Dearing, 1897), 59.

I've always enjoyed this quote .. must be the language ...

BTW - Dargan goes on to state that he does not believe salaries existed back in New Testament time, but that there is room for such a concept, if found advantageous. I'll write more on that sometime in the future.

For a great conversation on "Honoring Elders" see Theron's blog's Wednesday, December 13, 2006 11:17 AM entry.

For great conversation on "Should Pastors be Paid?" see Theron's blog's Wednesday, August 02, 2006 3:15 PM entry.

1 comment:

Alan Knox said...

Maël,

This is a very interesting quote. I agree that there are "pecuniary" (what a pecuniar... I mean, peculiar word) benefits to being a pastor, even without pay. I must always guard my heart not to spend additional time with those who "honor" me more.

-Alan

Join my blog network
on Facebook