Friday, February 2, 2007

I was reading an article by Alvin Reid in which he states:

...if the 1950s come back, we are ready.

They are not coming back. We must affirm the truth more than ever. We must teach our children the best of our heritage, including great hymns and the best of our past—how God has moved in mighty awakenings, how Christianity has influenced society for the better time and time again. We need to keep a love for preaching the Word and a love for the Word, and a passion for souls. But we must also be the people of God for this time, in this culture, in a way that brings glory to God and makes disciples of men and women.

I wish I knew a simple way to accomplish that. I don’t. I don’t think the early church had a clear idea of how to do that beyond the Great Commission and walking with God. ...

I just wanted to encourage you, as I tried to encourage him, that the answer is just that. It is not a program, but radically changed lives. It is people that disciple as they go (Matt. 28): lost people for the purpose of seeing God change their heart and saved people for the purpose of seeing them mature. It is leaven that leavens all the meal around them (Matt 13:33). It is believers who are all in one accord (Act 1:14; 2:1, 46; 4:24; 5:12; 15:25) and who love one another (Jn 13:35) and therefore become irresistible light and salt (Matt 5:13-16).
When people look at me, is that what they see? When people look at you, is that what they see?

No comments:

Join my blog network
on Facebook